Thursday, October 20, 2016

Authors To Watch: R.E. Sheahan, author of STORM OF ARRANON





I have always been a reader. I love books. When I’m not able to read, I listen to audio books. I started writing while working as a Paramedic/Firefighter in Northern California. Trust me, it’s not like it appears on TV. There was plenty of time for books, mostly reading them. I didn't seriously start writing until I moved to my ranch in Oregon. While waiting for lambs to be born in the middle of the night, I would head back to the house for an hour or two and sit down at the computer. Before I knew it, I had a manuscript. Not a good one, but a start.I joined critique groups and attended writer's conferences. I was on the fast track to learning. 

In 2013, I received an honorable mention in Writer’s Digest’s Self Published book awards for MG/YA. I guess I am learning something!

Ideas from dreams follow me into warm sunny days or the quiet of falling snow. “What ifs” feed a vivid imagination. Even mistyped phrases may lead to an "aha" moment. Brain storming sessions standing in windy, dark parking lots with fellow writers release thoughts that pry at the corners of my mind, grasping for purchase. Sometimes the ideas pursue me, with persistence.

For More Information



Title: Storm of Arranon
Author: R. E. Sheahan
Publisher: Rule of Three Press
Pages: 300
Genre: YA Science Fiction/Fantasy

 A forbidden birth. A remarkable young woman. A marauding alien society. The battle begins.
 A brutal alien society invades Korin and Arranon, intent on destroying the two worlds that make up Cadet Erynn Yager's home. Forced to expose her strange abilities and reveal her forbidden birth, a guarded web of secrets unravels.

Stranded on an unfamiliar planet of eternal winter and predatory wildlife, the mysterious living consciousness of Arranon intervenes, leading Erynn on a mystical journey. 

Aware of Erynn's potential, the alien enemy pursues her. She struggles to gain control of her growing powers while in a constant race to elude the invaders, and join the forces preparing to fight a mounting occupation. 

Erynn’s secret may be her worlds' only hope, but at the cost of her life. Swept up in a chain reaction of events, Erynn's dedication extends far beyond service and duty. She learns the true meaning of sacrifice. 

Along with courage and hope, Erynn finds something unexpected on her journey of awareness and growth.

Love.

For More Information

  • Storm of Arranon is available at Amazon.
  • Discuss this book at PUYB Virtual Book Club at Goodreads.



Welcome Robynn! Tell us a little about yourself.

I love to read. I started out reading stories about animals, mostly horses, as a kid. Then I got into Science Fiction and Fantasy. Now I read just about anything, genre doesn’t matter. If I can be hooked into the story, I’m in. 

I worked as a Paramedic/Firefighter in Northern California for twelve years. Later I owned a ranch In Oregon where I raised show sheep, commercial cattle, horses, and Border Collies. Now, due to family health issues, I’m in Arizona. I’m enjoying living in the city, not so happy about the heat. I miss trees, snow, and fall colors. Even after such an extreme change, I believe I’m exactly where I’m supposed to be.

When did you begin writing?

While waiting for ewes to lamb in the middle of the night, I’d sit at my computer and write. Not much at first, dreams I’d had, or starts to stories I’d never finish, mostly a rambling mess of ideas and emotions. Then a group of characters, Erynn, Jaer, and Cale, began to invade my thoughts and demand their story be told. So, I did. I’ll start the first draft of book five in the Storm of Arranon series in November NaNoWriMo.

Describe your writing process. Do you plot or write by the seat of your pants? When and where do you write?

I’m a total pantser. The characters lead their story. I start with a beginning and an end in mind and turn them loose.

I can write just about anywhere and anytime. Although, there’s something about a coffee shop that releases my creative self. As far as when, I’ve done some of my best work between midnight and three.

Can you tell us about your most recent release?

Storm of Arranon is actually the second edition of the first book in the series, re-released June 2016. The same great story with added scenes and a new back cover and spine. 

It’s YA Science Fiction/Fantasy. A fast paced action adventure that takes place on new worlds, with strange creatures, an alien invasion, and, of course, a sweet romance.

Of all your characters, which one is your favorite? Why?

In the first three books, Cale was my favorite character. He’s quiet yet powerful. I’ve introduced a new character in book four, Bryn. I like her. She’s snarky.

What was the most challenging aspect of writing your book?

I think that would be coming up with unique names for characters, especially when I created cultural customs for one of the worlds. 

Which authors have inspired your writing?

Dean Koontz. His writing is so full of descriptions, I get totally absorbed in the story.

What projects are you currently working on?

The fine-tuning on book four before it goes to the editor. And, I’m happy to say, I finally have a title!

What advice would you offer to new or aspiring authors?

Write every day. Read, a lot. Read books on writing. Join critique groups. Attend writer’s conferences and workshops. Have fun and don’t get discouraged!

1 comment: