Monday, September 5, 2016

Authors To Watch: Ms. Johnnie Renee, author of 'Living In My Father's Dream: Weep Me Not'




Ms. Johnnie Renee is a first time author. She is the mother of an at-risk adult child, so she is accustomed to street life, visions, and dreams. Inspired by the eyes of a dead rapper, Ms. Johnnie Renee hopes that by writing this book (though it depicts street life) that a child's mind can be freed from violence, and drugs.

Her latest book is Living In My Father’s Dream: Weep Me Not.

For More Information
  • Visit Johnnie Renee’s website.
  • Connect with the author on Twitter.


Title: Living In My Father’s Dream: Weep Me Not
Author: Ms. Johnnie Renee
Publisher: JR Perez Imprint
Pages: 426
Genre: Urban Fiction

A powerful love story, not between a man and a woman, but a real father and his Mafia-bred son ANTONIO "SHAWN" PEREZ, JR. The only grandson of a Mafia drug lord, Shawn wanted to become a drug dealer at the age of twelve, but his dad said no. Just to teach Shawn that drugs are a killer, his dad made him sit in a country chair and watch him OD. Twenty-one years later, and still mentally screwed, all Shawn wants now is to be free from the memories of his dad's death, and for his grandfather to stay out of his life. Little did Shawn know, that the day he sat in that chair, his grandfather saw his strengths to watch his dad die, and wanted him as a one-time hitman for the family. Now, in order to be free, he must complete the job assigned to him by his grandfather. His job: To kill the baddest drug dealer in the hood. 

Living In My Father's Dream is available at Amazon.



Tell us a little about yourself. 

I am what most people would call “An After 50ish Writer”. Well, I could be more of a comedian too. My friends often tell me I should head off to Comedy Corner, or the Big Screens. 

When did you start writing?

I started writing, oh, maybe ten years ago. It is a true statement: I just woke up one morning and started writing. 

Describe your writing process. Do you plot or write by the seat of your pants? When and where do you write? 

Well, yeah. I could say I do plot. If I have a devious thought in my mind, I would plot it out and have Shawn, my main protagonist take care of it for me. So, my writing process is often based on the problems of the world. However, a lot of time, I write by the seat of my pants. With this book, I had so many thoughts running through my mind; I couldn’t keep up with them all. Which brings me back to your question: When and Where Do You Write? Well, that answer would have to be “anywhere”. I got to the point of carrying a pen and paper with me where ever I went. I would sit near the highway and write, on the bus, on a city bench, in line at a grocery store, etc. That’s how much information was flowing through my mind.

Can you tell us about your most recent release? 

Yes. Sure. This book: Living In My Father’s Dream: Weep Me Not aka The Tears of God, is (even though it depicts the violence in the inner city) a simple fact, and that is, too many of our at-risk youth are wasting their life in the streets, thereby creating pain in a mother’s heart. This has to stop.

How did you get the idea for the book? 

Well, besides all the information that was flowing into my mind, my heart goes out to our at-risk youth. I simply want them to understand that they do have a choice in life. If you have ever seen a mother crying on national news, local news, her tears are real. The pain is real. It hurts. I want to help end the pain.

Of all your characters, which one is your favorite? Why? 

I would have to say it’s Shawn, my main protagonist. Shawn has gone through a lot, and I mean a lot. Not many twelve year olds can sit and watch their father OD.

What was the most challenging aspect of writing your book? 

I would say being an unheard of author. 

Which authors have inspired your writing? 

Well, let’s just back up to the music industry, and from there, I would have to say it was Tupac Shakur. Dear, Momma just blew my mind.

What projects are you currently working on?

I will be working next on a children’s book, titled I Hear The Animals Singing. It’s about a little goldfish that runs away from the Ark, thinking no one loves him. Then, (and I believe in my heart, I’m going to get a movie out of this book), I will write Promise Me. Promise Me is about the time I spent living on the street, and the struggles between me and my husband of two years. 

What advice would you offer to new or aspiring authors? 

The best things in life are free. Seek, and ye shall find. There has got to be someone out there that understands your struggles. And with that said, (though I’m paying for her service), I want to thank Dorothy Thompson, CEO of Pump Up Your Book.com for being there for aspiring authors.

No comments:

Post a Comment